Saturday, 25 January 2014

RPG Solo play The adventures of Leo using Tales of blades and heroes session 1

Not strictly war-gaming but some of my time over the past year has been spent on a useful site called http://www.rpgsolo.com/ this is a site designed to allow you to undertake a satisfying roll playing game by yourself through the use of some random generators.

Play can be as simple or complex as you like and you can use a base rule set in link with your play or just a selection of the buttons on offer.

Whether you are into solo RPG play or are looking for some help in creative writing this tool could be of value to you.

Whilst all of my stories to date are available on the site I thought I would share some of them here too.

Where you see text in blue,red or green this is generated by the sites random buttons.

For the adventures of Leo I used the rule set of Tales of blades and heroes by Ganesha games.
Having never used them prior to this I may have adapted as I played so if you see something strange compared to your understanding of the rules just remember that in solo play it doesn't matter if you ignore/tweak or change something to make your game flow.

Session 1

The adventures of Leo in Tales of blades and heroes
The first adventure of Leo the hapless wonderer. Using the Tales of Blades and Heroes RPG system by Ganesha Games. (This is my first attempt having only acquired the rules today so please bare that in mind as I doubt I will push the system to the fullest extent just yet!)

Leo 51pts
Physical Quality 4+
Mental Quality 4+
Social Quality 4+

Combat 2

Hero Points 1

Specials
Curious 0pts
Open minded 0Pts
Axe Level 2 12pts
Bow Level 2 10pts
Light armour 5pts
Knife level 1 2pts
Spear level 2 6pts
Sword level 2 10pts
Streetwise level 2 6pts

Equipment
Light hide armour
Knife
Axe
Silver 30 pieces

Leo had enough of farming and one day just up and left taking all he owned (which wasn't much by anyone's standard)he had always wanted to be one of those adventurers finding all the loot and saving the pretty women from certain death in return for passionate gratitude. Shaking himself from his thoughts Leo set off across the field, "I always wondered what was over this next hill" he thought to himself.

Silent pit.

"Hmm well that is disappointing" he said aloud "nothing but a damn pit" (is there anyone else at the pit?)

(50/50) Yes.

Sympathetic desperate citizen.

"Help me, oh won't someone help me my... has fallen in this pit and I need some one to help me retrieve them"

Egomaniacal female Halfling rebel.

"Oy are you gonna help me then or what?" comes a tinny voice from within the pit.

Leo seeing this as a good start to his adventuring, "I'll help you miss" he calls down, "miss i'm no miss you bloody fool I be Lady Ethel leader of the Halfling bloody rag rebellion now get me out of here before I really lose my temper!" (Leo looks around for something useful?)

Mask.

"Some sort of bandana you know like bandits wear over their face" proclaims Leo "not yours is it?" he asks the desperate citizen whose name he hasn't yet got, "who me?" he squeaks I'm just a lowly scribe, Adler is my name". "Well Adler any thoughts on how we can rescue yon fair maiden?" asks Leo in his best impression of how a hero should sound, Ethel pipes up "Are you bloody senile! go and find a rope or ladder to help me out of here!, fair maiden I'll give him fair..." luckily the rest of her comments pass Leo by as he quickly steps away to look for a suitable aid.

Worn-out boots.

"Not sure these laces will be long enough but you never know when a new pair of boots will be just the thing" he keeps looking

Staff.

A stout branch felled by some storm catches Leo's eye, can he pick it up by himself?

(Likely) No.

Calling Adler over Leo attempts to get him to help. (Persuade needing one success using two actions)

4 = 1[d6]+3[d6]

Failure! is Adler unable to help?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes.

Leo quickly realises that Adler is too frail to help move the branch. Can he cut it shorter?

(Very Likely) Yes.

Will it still be useful?

(Likely) Yesand...

With a quick chop of his axe Leo shortens the branch enough to free it and carries it back to the pit, passing it down it should allow someone small to climb up it. Can Ethel make the climb?

(Likely) Yes.

Reaching a hand out Leo attempts to help Ethel over the lip of the pit, "my lady happy I cou..." "oof" as Ethel took his hand she swung her stumpy leg up and hit him right between the legs, "that's for calling me names! fair lady indeed" huffing she turns and starts to stomp away from the pit with Adler in tow. Does Leo recover before they disappear?

(Physical test 2 successes needed using three actions)

8 = 4[d6]+2[d6]+2[d6]

Failure again! "little witch" thought Leo as he lay curled in a ball, as he recovered his wounded pride he got slowly back to his feet, and not even a note of thanks for his hard work! This adventuring lark was proving less straight forward than he hoped still one bad experience never put him off anything so gathering his wits he set off into the forest.

Cold ship.

That's funny he thought I didn't know there was a lake so close. Spying a small row boat through the morning mist Leo made his way over to it. Is he alone?

(50/50) Nobut...

Sympathetic rebel.

"Damn" cursed Leo its that bloody witch Ethel if I'm not mistaken! he was about to shuffle off in the other direction when Ethel turned and beckoned him over. "you, yes you come on I don't have all day to sit around, look I realise I may owe you some thanks for aiding me back there, so here take some silver."

10 = 10[d10]

Ethel drops a small leather purse containing 10 silvers into Leo's hand, as she stands up from the tree stump she was sat on she pushes his jaw shut with one hand "if you were a little shorter..." as she walks past him, "err thanks?" calls Leo then thinking about her parting comment decides he would rather go the other way, seems the damsels passions are not always as desirable as he thought then again.. shaking his head he looks into the boat. (Is it serviceable?)

(Likely) Yesand...

It also has two oars in good condition, stepping into the boat Leo pushes it out into the lake. (Can Leo row well?) each success rolled adds to his ability! Leo rolls three dice

11 = 4[d6]+5[d6]+2[d6]

Two successes, Leo makes reasonable time crossing the lake and quickly finds his rhythm does he learn a skill in rowing?

(Likely) Yes.

Cool in future should the need arise he might make a good galley slave! Does he reach the other side with out incident?

(Somewhat Likely) No.

Illusion.

Through the mist Leo thinks he can see something "Is that a?"

Death knight.

"Ghost of a knight coming towards me?" "its flaming hovering!" in a near panic Leo throws himself into the oars, does he get to the other side before it closes with him?

(Likely) Yes.

Jumping out of the boat Leo almost cuts himself he draws his Axe so fast, "stay back you, you hear.." he calls whilst waving his arms around in a vaguely menacing fashion, does the ghost keep coming?

(50/50) Yes.

Can it harm him?

(Somewhat Unlikely) No+Twist: NPC / Appears

Beautiful female agent of the crown.

Just as Leo is torn between fleeing for his life and cowering in abject terror a light musical voice calls out and suddenly all is right with the world, turning Leo sees a beautiful woman emerge from the trees, now that's the sort of passionate looking damsel I had in mind he thinks! snapping out of it he recalls the ghost and spins round so fast he has to take a test!

6 = 6[d6]

pass! spinning back once he realises the ghostly image has gone, he finds the woman has approached almost to within touching distance of him. Completely flummoxed Leo attempts a half bow which he feels must have looked atrocious if how he feels is anything to go by! "Milady how can I be of service?" he croaks. "I am looking for someone to undertake a dangerous quest on behalf of the crown and I wonder if you might be the one?", pulling himself together Leo puffs his chest out, "I should imagine I can be of service, err what's the trouble?"

Smuggle slaves from the unrecognizable distillery.

"There are some slaves being held at a nearby hidden distillery and I need your help freeing them from the smugglers, of course you will be handsomely rewarded say for each slave freed the sum of ... silvers?"

6 = 6[d10]

"How many slaves exactly are we talking about and how many smugglers?" asks Leo regaining some of his composure at the thought of some silver.

12 = 12[d20]

12 slaves and

14 = 14[d20]

at most 14 smugglers however if we hurry currently most are out with their leader, there should be no more than

4 = 4[d7]

Leo had been looking nervous but four well now four is not so many why that travelling mercenary was always killing more than that in every story he told when he stopped by the farm when Leo was but a lad. Swelling with confidence Leo asks "so six per slave and 10 for each guard killed?" The look of annoyance that crosses the ladies face almost had Leo apologising but before he could speak (persuasion test opposed) Lady rolls three dice

10 = 4[d6]+4[d6]+2[d6]

Scoring two success, Leo needs to at least equal it,

15 = 6[d6]+3[d6]+6[d6]

Leo chooses to explode both of the 6's rolled, the three is a failure.

21 = 6[d6]+5[d6]+4[d6]+6[d6]

four successes no need to keep going! Considering her answer "look if you get at least ten of the twelve slaves free I will pay you a bonus of 4 silvers per slave so total of 10 per rescued, agreed?" "yes, so which way is this distillery?" asks Leo. Does Leo reach the edge of the woods over looking the smugglers base without issue? (He is guided this far)

(Very Likely) Yesand...

He gets a clear view of the three out buildings and a open space, however the forest has been allowed to almost creep back to one of the buildings, can Leo see anyone?

(50/50) No.

They all must be in one of the buildings, Leo creeps through the trees towards the building nearest the edge, his employer has disappeared when he looks back at the trees. shaking his head at the odd people you meet out and about he gets his mind back on the quest. reaching the outbuilding is there any windows?

(50/50) No+Twist: Physical event / Hinders the hero

No windows and the door appears to be locked, can he attempt to pick it?

(Somewhat Unlikely) Yes.

I judge he needs three successes as he is not skilled in lock picking but it is a old and simple lock designed more to keep things in than people out.

8 = 2[d6]+3[d6]+3[d6]

Damn his luck is rubbish! not only does he fail to pick the lock but his fumbling is interrupted when the door of the next building opens and a smuggler emerges. Does he react first?

(Somewhat Likely) Nobut...

The smuggler is so surprised he loses one action to standing and staring, he then decides to close with Leo and draw a sword, he is Q5+ needing two actions,

3 = 1[d6]+2[d6]

Barely out of the door he stops and looks down to see why his sword is stuck, Leo attempts to throw his knife and then draw and charge with his axe, having no skill in throwing a knife but being level two in use of a knife in general I judge he needs three successes to hit with it.

10 = 6[d6]+1[d6]+3[d6]

exploding the 6

9 = 6[d6]+3[d6]

and again..

7 = 5[d6]+2[d6]

failure the knife hits him handle first in the chest and causes little more than a "oof" from the guard. Attempting the rest of his actions..

11 = 6[d6]+5[d6]

Leo springs up and at the guard drawing his sword a swinging it at the ill prepared guard (C1) Guards roll?

1 = 1[d6]

Leo roll

2 = 2[d6]

score of 4 to 2 doubled a serious wound on the guard!

8 = 5[d6]+3[d6]

The Guard is taken out the sword cutting half way into his neck, does his death alert any other guards?

(50/50) Yesbut...

they have not appreciated the problem, rather hearing a odd noise one of them calls out "you at the drink again Fitch?" is the voice coming from within the same building with the open door?

(Very Likely) Yes.

Is it a big building?

(50/50) Yes.

Judging it likely most of the people are within this building Leo edges through the door, first he loots the corpse of fitch,

3 = 3[d6]

Grappling hook.

Urn.

Short sword.

Taking the short sword and the grappling hook Leo leaves the urn.

Can Leo see anyone?

(50/50) Yesbut...

are they a slave?

(50/50) No.

Eyes going wide another guard is sitting at a table with his feet up playing cards, seeing Leo does he act first?

(Unlikely) No.

Leo wants to rush him and conduct a power strike using the axe,

11 = 5[d6]+6[d6]

4 = 4[d6]

three successes, Leo rushes at the second guard the blood still fresh on his axe, taking a mighty swing the guard raises an arm in defence as his chair tips backwards.. (Guard rolls?)

5 = 5[d6]

5-3-1=1 (roll of 5, -3 for being unarmed (failed to draw his sword whilst sitting), -1 for Leo's power attack!) Leo rolls

5 = 5[d6]

7 vs 1 is a gruesome death for another guard as Leo's axe bites through his upraised arm and inbeds its self in his face, he collapses over with his chair with a horrid gurgle. Does the axe get pulled from Leo's hand?

(50/50) Yes.

Does anyone else witness this?

(50/50) No.

Does anyone else hear this?

(50/50) No.

Retrieving his axe Leo makes his way to an internal door, is it locked?

(50/50) Yes+Twist: PC / Alters the location

looking through a gap by the door Leo can see slaves chained up to the floor, are they all there?

(Likely) Nobut...

11 = 11[d12]

11 of the 12 slaves are there, can Leo pick this lock?

(50/50) No.

Is the key on the body of the second guard?

(Very Likely) Yes.

anything else?

5 = 5[d6]

Claymore.

Ring.

Above average gemstone.

Herbs.

Below average wand.

Taking it all Leo opens the door and indicates the slaves need to be quiet. can Leo free them from their chains?

(50/50) No.

Can they move chained?

(50/50) No.

Reassuring them he is coming back Leo heads further into the building, does he find anyone else?

(50/50) No.

Does he find something to help free the slaves?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes.

Finding a solid metal bar Leo comes back and attempts to pry the chains free from the floor, I judge this a difficult but manageable task given the metal bar. two successes needed.

12 = 4[d6]+6[d6]+2[d6]

With a snap the links part and the chain can be pulled through, all of the slaves still have a metal cuff round one ankle but at least they can move freely! Are they all willing to follow Leo out?

(Very Likely) Nobut...

As they start to move out one of them demand Leo find the missing slave, can Leo convince them he will come back?

13 = 3[d6]+6[d6]+4[d6]

explode the 6

9 = 6[d6]+3[d6]

again

11 = 6[d6]+5[d6]

again

6 = 4[d6]+2[d6]

three successes is enough to convince them he will return if he can and they follow him out of the building, do they make it across to the trees and the mysterious woman of the crown?

(Somewhat Likely) Yesand...

The other slave is already there! She had freed him and disposed of the other two guards in the third building. with 120 silver Leo is feeling much happier and wishes them well before parting company and heading as far from the smugglers hide out as possible less the rest return!

I think Leo has earned some experience points for tonight's quest so:

3 = 3[d10]

bit harsh but no one said adventuring was easy! these barely pay the cost accrued for learning to row!