Saturday, 25 January 2014

RPG Solo Something different

Something different..
After a couple of thought provoking posts earlier about doing a more wargamey story I couldn't resist trying something, not sure how it works but was fairly fun and I see some potential for this sort of alternative usage of the tools here.

Major Lee and the

189 = 189[d200]

189th Rifles spread out over the entrance to the valley. "First take the left flank, Second your with me and Third investigate that small woods on the right"

Newly-restored arena.

Iron rooftop.

Opulent school.

"Captain Hasset take the First and investigate setting up a position in that iron roofed area on the Left" "Captain Jeve Once the Woods are secure I want you to push on to the School house and occupy it on the right" "School house Sir?" "I know it looks more like a palace but that is what it is the shool for

Infamous portal.

"The school of the infamous portal, some sort of decedant school for the offspring of our enemies Captain."

Are the First Regular troops?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

Are they at full strength?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Are they well supplied?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

they are also equipt with some experimental weapons.. hmm

Are the Second regulars?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

they are not at full strength?

(Somewhat Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Are they supplied?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Out of 100 how many active troops do they have?

30 = 30[d100]

Only 30% left no wonder they are the reserve!
What about the Third?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) Noand...

The Third are a Green unit and they have poor supplies, are they at full strength?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

they have a poor officer?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

bad morale?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.

really low supply?

(Likely | 2[d10]) No.

are they walking into a trap/ambush at the woods?

(Very Likely | 6[d10]) Yesbut... +Twist: Item / Ends the scene

One of the scouts trips and fires his rifle into the woods, does he hit someone?

(Unlikely | 4[d10]) No.

his shot causes an enemy soilder to stand in alarm and fire back.. does the Third:

1) stand and fire
2) Pull back and assess in an orderly fashion
3) Charge!
4) Run away!
5) Take cover and shoot back in a less organised maner
6) The officer is hit

5 = 5[d6]

The Third being Green troops drop and take cover as they find it in the field approaching the woods, this means they take some heavier fire without as much impact on the enemy but better than being ambushed closer in!

How many are lost in the initial stages?

23 = 23[d50]

23 of the 100 are down, Does the First encounter anything in reaching their objective?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) Noand...

They find the solid looking arena is actually about to collapse and will make a risky choice for defending. "Orders from command Sir" A breathless runner arrives.

Festering warehouse.

"Orders to proceed to the docks and capture the warehouses in the Generals name", the Runner speeds off before any reply.

"Order the First to approach the Town carefully and await the rest of us before proceeding, I will take the second to help clear out the Woods in support of the Third then we will via the school realign at the town"

Does the combined squads clear out the ambushing enemy force?

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

The small ambushing force quickly falls beneath the combined assualt, the second lose?

6 = 6[d15]

The third lost a further

6 = 6[d36]

Is the School empty?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) Noand...

Another ambush?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

Is it enemies?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

an enemy unit is on rnr in the school house, how many of them are there?

45 = 45[d100]

are there any sentries?

(Somewhat Likely | 5[d10]) Yesbut...

they are asleep! The Third and Second combined charge in and put them to the bayonet! Do they win?

(Very Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

they wipe out the enemy force?

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

Do they take any prisoners?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

how many?

21 = 21[d45]

Does the Major:
1) Execute them!!
2) Leave them under guard
3) offer them parole and let them go?
4) other?

3 = 3[d4]

"You men have fought valiantly in your cause and I would like to offer you the option of parole under your officers, the alternative is less pleasant" Do any refuse?

(Unlikely | 3[d10]) No+Twist: NPC / Appears

As they sign and file out one Officer approaches the Major, "Major I need to speak with you urgently"
1) These men must be killed they are going to turn on you as soon as they leave using hidden weapons, they are an execution detail
2) I am a Spy and you need to get me back to command
3) I am a Spy and I need to accompany you to the Warehouses
4) I wish to change sides and fight with you
5) Makes an attempt on the Majors life

3 = 3[d5]

"My name is not important but I must accompany you to the Warehouses at the Docks I am one of the Generals Spys" Produces a hidden seal. "Fine but you will be watched and guarded."

Do all three forces now assemble at the town without further issue?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.

As they move into the town do they:
1) It is earily deserted...
2) bustling with civillians
3) Quite and most people are locked in their homes
4) people rush to the Docks to escape
5) people rush to leave via the gates
6) people are dead and dieing
7) Armed enemies are throughout the town

5 = 5[d7]

As they approach the Captain of the First comes over, "Sir they are all fleeing it looks like the town will fall with ease, no sign of the enemy", "very good Captain lead on with the First but keep your wits about you!" Do they reach the Docks with out incident?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

1) Fire
2) Flood
3) riot
4) enemy fire
5) looting
6) explosion

2 = 2[d6]

A Runner arrives "Major the Captain reports there is a bridge out in the centre of town and the lower quarter is flooded," "can he see another way round?"

(Very Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

As they file across the roof of abuilding which arches over the river to the dock area:
1) roof gives way
2) come under fire
3) flood increases
4) fire breaks out
5) nothing
6) nothing

4 = 4[d6]

A fire breaks out does it prevent the rest from crossing here?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 6[d10]) Nobut...

it blocks any return by this method

Turning the Major waves his force on towards the docks, have they lost anyone this far in the town?

(Unlikely | 1[d10]) Noand...

Even the Spy is still with them!

Reaching the docks the Major orders his men to open and secure the contents of each warehouse whilst the second looks for transport options.
Do they meet any resistance?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) Nobut...

The first warehouse is
1) Empty
2) full of grain
3) full of artworks
4) full of coin & jewels
5) full of bodies
6) full of animals
7) explodes
8) ambush

3 = 3[d8]

Crates full of masterpieces fill the space, "must be worth a pretty penny this lot!"
The second warehouse?

7 = 7[d8]

explodes in a large fireball, killing?

8 = 8[d77]

8 of the Third, the Third warehouse?

8 = 8[d8]

As they open the door and move inside they are met with massed gunfire,

16 = 16[d69]

another 16 are killed before overcoming the enemy.
The fourth warehouse

4 = 4[d8]

Piles of coin and jewels glisssen in the sunlight, "Sgt put a guard on this until we work out where we are moving it too!"
The Final warehouse catches the Spy's attention

1 = 1[d8]

Aghast he falls to his knees, "empty, how can it be.." composing himself he attempts to slip away.. does he

(Somewhat Unlikely | 7[d10]) Yesbut...

One of the Guards see him and openfire

(2 = 2[d20]) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

(14 = 14[d20]) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

he ignores the first but the second shot sends him tumbling off the steps he was trying to climb. Is he captured?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

"Major you need to get out of here, it was promised, he will never believe us that it was empty.." "quite babling you fool what is gone? what could be worth more than the wealth we have located here?" But the Spy had fallen unconsious. "Tend to him but keep him under armed guard I want to know the moment he wakes". Have the Second found any large boats to use?

(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yesand...

A fleet of three merchantment sit ready to embarke and there are suitable tenders to load them with us and the goods here.
Once loaded they set sail to leave the town, does the Major:
1) Set anchor and await the General
2) flee to the life of a Pirate
3) Become a Mercenary
4) desert to the enemy
5) leave a message for the General but try and fathom out what happened here whilst remaining loyal
6) Die in an attack by the enemy
7) Other?

6 = 6[d7]

And there ends the story and life of Major Lee, who knows what became of the treasure fleet and the life of the Spy, what was in the empty warehouse...