Saturday, 25 January 2014

RPG Solo Pirate adventure

Pirate adventure of sorts fantasy circ18th C
I have been fancying doing a pirate adventure using this tool set and I have developed some excel tools to help me generate some random ships, names and cargos but will otherwise be using the buttons here. Hopefully this will work but do let me know if not! Enjoy

I come too with a dull throbbing behind my eyes, "where am I?", Am I on board a ship?

(Sure Thing) Yesand...

I know the face in front of me.. "you I remember you we were drinking last night in the Ugly Parrot, why..where am I?" "Ye be on board the Alice Clair a fine War Galleon currently sailing under the flag of the Kingdom of Kemey's banner. As to the why of it, do you not recall saying how much you wished for a life at sea and me saying the Captain was looking for some new men to join the crew?" Trying to clear the fog from my head I stand and peer about my new surroundings, "not really no, I can't remember much after the first barrel was tapped..."

"Well ye be one of us now, I managed to get you signed up as...

Theology.

a man of some learning as the Captain fancies herself as something of a academic when time permits, I be the second mate, Luisalberto Zelensky be my name but you can call me Luis" "Whose the captain?" "Captain Sedalia Cayanan, or Seda to most of us, you and some other lads make a crew of 147 though truth be told a ship this size should command a crew of 230 at full strength but it would be fair to say we have not enjoyed the best of luck..."

Looking about those crew members I can see appear to be a sullen downhearted lot. My first day at sea is taken up with learning the ship and my duties aboard her. Whilst the Captain may fancy herself as something of an intelligentsia and me as the latest prey for her to talk in circles the ship is so short handed I have no choice but to learn my way as any other sailor would. Do I have any existing skills for sailing?

(Somewhat Likely) Nobut...

Do I have experiance with Hand weapons?

(50/50) No.

Cannon?

(50/50) Nobut...

Metal work?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes.

So I have previous experiance working on the construction of cannon or other metal constructs. Do i have any other skills useful on ship?

(50/50) Noand... +Twist: NPC / Appears

Passive-aggressive charlatan.

The Captain appears and starts to ask me about

High quality figurine.

a statue she acquired on her recent travels, she thinks it is a old expensive piece of art, can I offer any true opinion on it?

(50/50) Yesbut...

she doesn't like it when I point out I have seen many like it for sale in the local markets and it is made by the locals/natives as something to sell but has little true value.

Hydra.

throwing the statue at me the Captain storms off to her cabin raving about bloody know it all's.. I look at Luis who gives me a shrug as if to say well what did you expect, I begin to think the Captain is less than half as intelligent as she thinks and if I am to last as her intellectual sparring partner I may need to let her win future discussions less I find my time at sea quickly cut short!

Evade brigands at the iron mine.

A call goes up, "sail sighted" The Captain comes from her Captain as Luis calls back to the look out "Where away?" "Off the Port bow" comes the reply. The Captain Luis and I move to the side and wait as Captain Seda looks through her eye glass, "Damn it looks like a privateer, but until they get closer I can't be sure" "All hands Mister Luis" Luis turns and bellows "All hands on deck" Turning back to the Captain in quieter tones "Open the Weapons lockers yet Cap'n?"

(Likely) Yes.

Luis turns and grabs me "with me", we hustle down to the first deck and Luis produces a large key which opens a small but sturdy room packed with weapons, Swords, Muskets, Pistols, hatchets plus some other items I can't immediately identify. "Right help me bring these up top to arm the crew, best chose yourself something nice" He grins as he slips a brace of pistols into his jacket which I realise has the loops and ties in place for such usage finally he takes a large cutlass, "quick as you like then we need to do this fast", Do I pick up a pistol?

(Very Likely) Yes.

More than one?

(50/50) Nobut...

I also take a sword, so armed I help bring up the goods and equip the men. By this time the other ship has come a lot closer, having finished our task I follow Luis back to the Captains side. "Who is she Cap'n?" asks Luis, "She looks to be a large Carrack flying the Principality of Stepaside's flag so lets hope she is peaceful as we are likely to be out gunned and out manned" Despite tacking away the other ship is much faster than the Alice Clair in its current condition. Is it hostile?

(Likely) Nobut...

Battle-scarred quarry.

it looks like they have been in the wars themselves pointing "check out that hole in the upper deck.." "Do we let them pass Cap'n?" asks Luis?

(Likely) Noand...

"No lets take them!" smiles the Captain, "all hands run out the guns battle stations!" Do we fire first?

(Likely) Yes.

Our 7 cannon remaining on the Port side open fire at the approaching ship

Severe Damage: Incapacitating and may become Critical if not addressed.

a lucky shot goes through the existing hole in the side and must hit something flammable as there is an explosion amidships and smoke pours out of there hull, do they manage to return fire?

(Very Likely) Yes.

Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Dent.

Their damage distracts them enough that their superior number of cannon cause us no real damage. "Grappling hooks Mister Luis" shouts the Captain who appears rather animated at the thought of combat. As the hulls scape alongside the grappling hooks fly as both ships lock together. "Boarding party with me!" screams the Captain as she launches herself across the gap and onto the enemy vessel. Do I go with them?

(50/50) Nobut...

Some of the enemy also board us?

(Very Likely) Yes.

Drawing my pistol I aim at one of our attackers so I hit?

(Somewhat Unlikely) No.

Dropping the gun I draw my sword, my lack of skill has been somewhat improved by practice with Luis since I joined but I still feel unlikely to survive... Does the enemy engage me?

(Likely) Yesbut...

As we exchange the first blows and move apart Luis shoots him at close range over my shoulder making my ear ring

Moderate Damage: Hampers functionality significantly; will require rapair/mechanical attention.

"you okay lad?" "what? What? I think I'm deaf" laughing "that i'll pass but better deaf than dead!" I see the shot sailor trying to limp back towards his ship the bullet from Luis having taken him in the leg, stepping forward do I run him through?

(Very Likely) Yes.

Looking around is there any one else alive from the enemy boarders?

(Likely) Yesbut...

they are in full retreat and most won't make it back to their ship. Is the Captain winning on-board the enemy ship?

(Somewhat Likely) Yesbut...

she has been wounded?

(Likely) Yesand...

it is serious, is she dead yet?

(50/50) Yesand...

the enemy vessel surrenders?

(Likely) Yes.

How many did we loose from our 147?

22 = 122[d147]-100

how many remain out of their crew?

65 = 65[d200]

is their Captain dead?

(Sure Thing) Yesand...

so is their first mate. "Looks like you have command Luis" I say,

Neglect / New ideas.

shaking his head he says "well that best make you me first mate then don't it" "Me but I'm the least knowledgeable sailor on the ship" I protest, "aye that's as maybe but words like that mean you be ideal as I doubt anyone here could spell kowlageball let alone understand it" "First things first we need to examine and retrieve any cargo worth taking before that wallowing bucket sinks" "its lucky they damped down that fire else this would be the shortest action of all time" The hold is chests which upon opening appear to contain cloths and odd bits.. "you what's all this crap and where is the good stuff?" Luis grabs one of the captured crew, "it belongs to the passengers Cap'n" "Passengers?" are they all still alive and part of the 65 captured?

(Likely) Yes.

27 passengers and 38 crew, do the crew join ours?

(Very Likely) Yes+Twist: Organization / Helps the hero

One of the passengers pushes himself to the front, "now there what is the meaning of this I am Lord Mannes of the glorious Principality of Stepaside and this is an act of War!, I demand you release us and our property unharmed at once!" Luis glances at me with a sign to go ahead, coughing into my hand, "milord I am terribly sorry for this would you mind indicating which of your chests are the most valuable to ensure we get them safely on-board as soon as possible? and then we can discuss our current predicament" Does he?

(Likely) No.

"They are all of value sir they are my property!" "Right so you are a person of importance to the Prince of Stepaside?" I ask,

(Very Likely) Yes.

"Of course I am I met with him last month before leaving, I am to be the Governor of the Isle of Cimmeria" "So he would pay a pretty penny for your safe return?" "of course he would you buffoon he...." slowly understanding crosses his face and turning pale he looks around at the hunger dirty faces of the crew, leaning on a nearby barrel he looks deflated, "well I mean he might, there is a lot of Lords and I was never that close to him.." "its too late my good sir I suggest you start penning a letter to him requesting a ransom on your behalf and that of your family and staff I presume?" indicating the other passengers, does he agree?

(Likely) Yes.

Detailing some men to lead them below and lock them away in a cabin I turn to watch the crew get us clear of the floating hulk that used to be the Queen Mad Privateer.
We managed to salvage some cannon too, how many did we get?

34 = 34[d40]

wow 34 out of the 40 they had we must have been busy! so with our 14 that gives us 48 guns! pity any one else we come across now! did we also get enough shot and powder?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes+Twist: Physical event / Hinders the hero

"Sail away" Running to the Starboard side myself and Luis see a dark outline on the horizon, "damn we're in no condition to fight again, all hands make best speed" Do we out run them?

(50/50) Nobut...

Break / Business.

They are a merchant ship looking to trade, do we close with them to trade?

(50/50) Nobut...

we let them pass unmolested, for now. Do we make it safely into a safe port?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes.

As we come into view Luis points out to me the safe way into the sheltered deep water harbour, "you need to watch out for these reefs and the rocks over yonder any misstep and you'll end a wreck!" We lay anchor a short distance from the docks and prepare a jolly boat to take some of us across. Taking a chance to look at our destination I see a number of shacks and shanty dwellings lining the coast with a set of hills behind leading up to a small mountain peak, there appears to be some two story buildings and a warehouse but nothing larger. As we tie up we are met by a fat man in a once nice coat embroidered with dirty yellow lace (although it may have started life white), he is backed up by a couple of hulking brutes. "My good fellow I am the dock master and there is a fee for docking at our small port" Glancing at me Luis asks "how much is it?" "oh shall we say.."

754 = 754[d1000]

in outrage Luis almost pulls his gun "754 doubloons just to dock are you mad i'll give you 50" does he accept?

(Very Unlikely) No.

"my good man the best deal I could do seeing as you are new to these parts if 500", "100 is the most I'll pay and that is still outright robbery!"

(Unlikely) Noand...

"Dear me I sense we are at odds already, I'm afraid 500 is the least I can take we do have a lot of expenses you know" "100 now and 200 once we have sold our cargo?" I decide there is nothing to lose by speaking up as Luis is seconds from starting a fight right here on the docks! hmmm

(Somewhat Likely) Noand...

No I'm afraid 500 it is and I'll take it now or you won't be leaving this dock. Grumbling we pay, luckily we have ample gold found in the old Captain's chest plus some gold taken from the Queen Mad. Total gold we know have is 9,839 - 500 = 9,339.
The small shore party leaves the fat man behind counting his gold and approaches the nearby warehouse, a faded sign proclaims it to be 'Senna monk Partners' A short man wearing a brown robe with a rope belt comes out to meet us wiping his hands on a rag, "good day gentlemen I be Brother Madov, I'm afraid Brother Senna is away at the moment but I would be happy to help, I assume you have cargo to sell yes?"
Luis steps forwards "I'm Cap'n Zelensky and this is my First mate who will be handling our trading as unfortunately I need to be elsewhere" giving me a slap on the back he takes two of the crew and heads towards a precariously leaning building with a sign showing

High quality scroll.

A faded painting of a scroll, I assume it is a tavern of sorts?

(Sure Thing) Yesand...

there already appears to be a large amount of drunken revelry underway, shaking my head I turn back to the Brother monk and shake his hand, "Lets talk business brother Madov, we have the finest Copper you are likely to see this side of the ocean, 200 units which can be yours for only 8000 doubloons..?"

(Very Unlikely) Noand...

"no, no my friend the most I could offer is 2000?" "2000" I say in not completely false outrage "5000 is as low as I can go, we have a large crew to pay and the expense of getting it here not to mention the original cost, yes 5000 is a bargain think of all the things you can make to sell from this much high quality copper"

(Somewhat Unlikely) Yes.

"My friend you have a deal 5000 it is, let us shake on it and I have some paper work upon which you can make your mark" "I can write my name Brother and I'll be taking the gold as soon as the copper is unloaded" I detail some of the party to go back and load up a lighter with the copper and have it rowed across to the Merchants, I'd rather not deal with that dock master again as I imagine he would have some invented tax to charge us!" Does the deal now take place with out incidence?

(Likely) Yesand...

"Whilst you are here can we interest you in any of our goods for sale?" "what do you have?" I ask. Brother Madov hands me the list of goods for sale:
23 units of Corn worth 300
246 head of livestock worth 14,000
296 barrels of run worth 9,000
171 units of lumber worth 14,500
"any of these take your fancy?" he asks?
Our hold can take 256 units at the moment and 27 are taken up by the 'passengers' we acquired. However once fully repaired we should be able to take 400 units.
"We will take 50 livestock but were only willing to pay 1000?"

(Somewhat Unlikely) Nobut...

"No afraid I can't do that but if you also take 20 barrels of rum and 10 units of corn we maybe able to do a deal?"
"Okay my best price for all three is 1550, deal?"

(Somewhat Unlikely) Noand...

"No, no, this will not do, 3000 is the best I could take?" "Damn you Monks are tough negotiators, I'll make it 2500 and that really is it?"

(Likely) Yesbut...

"agreed but you have to arrange for all of the labour to move it from here to your ship?" as we conclude Luis staggers back over, "we done yet matey?" just about, we need to arrange to move some goods and livestock to the ship, "fine, fine, you handle the details I'll be in the Scroll if you need me, no where some of that gold?" handing him a small purse with

7 = 7[d50]

7 gold pieces in it he sways back to the tavern, I hear him say "damn this land sways worse than a storm at sea.." before breaking into song "yo ho.." the rest is lost as he enters the Tavern.

Do we conclude the switch of goods and gold with out incidence?

(Somewhat Likely) No.

Just as we finish the exchange a familiar sight hoves into view "my good fellow" huffs the fat dock master leaning against one of his hulking guards, "I really must protest your payment only covered your docking fees no mention was made of all this back and forth I'm afraid there is a export and a Import tax you must pay"

5144 = 5144[d10000]

This time it is I who nearly shoot him on the spot, "5000 are you trying to be funny" I yell, given comfort from the fact a number of our crew are near by having been working on the loading, all are armed.

38 = 38[d162]

Blinking rapidly the fat-man takes into account the 38 armed sailors closing in on our heated exchange, "you want to be the one to tell these boys that their share was just cut by 8 gold ahead" (I do the math rapidly in my head, the rule of quarters, two quarters for the ship to keep her afloat, one quarter for the Captain, One quarter for the Men), Angry noises start coming from the men, looking flustered and blinking rapidly "well now did I say 5000 I apologies I meant 500", moving slowly forwards I say "you mean the 500 we already paid covers this and that is what you came to tell us?" "err ekk" seems to be the only noise he can make.

(Very Likely) Yesand...

"yes your right that's exactly what I came to tell you, sorry for any confusion and don't worry I have waved the exit fee this time.." trying to act menacing I slap my hand down on the pommel of my sword and growl "exit fee..." is he cowed?

(Very Likely) Yes.

making an unidentifiable noise he turns and runs straight into one of his men, promptly falling over as though he ran into a wall, "sorry master.." begins the hulking guard as he reaches a hand out to his fallen master, as they quickly hasten away towards the docks the sound of the crew laughing seems to turn his ears a shade of red. "right back to the boat" I detail the third mate to organise a rotor for shore leave to keep the ship protected whilst I go to find a sail smith. Do I manage to arrange repairs to the ship?

(Very Likely) Yesand...

I get them done quickly, how many days to get to a good condition?

5 = 5[d5]

5 days should allow for a good job and allow the crew plenty of shore leave. How much do I spend on repairs?

1716 = 1716[d3000]

That leaves us with 10,116 gold of which 2,529 goes to the crew or 15.61 gold each.

Does anything else worth mentioning happen in port?

(50/50) Yes.

Superb elixir.

I go to find Luis in the Tavern and find him standing on the table singing "A pirate I would be...Matey there ye be come join me for a few" Do I join in?

(50/50) No.

"Captain I think it best we step outside for a bit I need to speak to you" I have to yell to be heard over the raucous noise within the tavern. Does Luis come straight outside?

(50/50) No.

Artistic ability.

Convinced of his ability Luis breaks back into song, can I stop him?

(50/50) Yesbut...

whilst trying to get him off the table I kick over someone's ale, do they take offense?

(Very Likely) Yes.

"Oy ya bastard ye kicked me ale over" "Apologies I'll buy you another just let me.." Does he let me finish?

(Very Unlikely) Noand...

He launches a punch at me, does he hit?

(50/50) Yes.

Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

I swing back at him,

Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

kicking him in the face and breaking his nose, "ha that shows him" shouts Luis now swaying dramatically on the table top, does that end it?

(Unlikely) Nobut...

One of his friends swings at me but Luis hits him with a bottle on top of his head,

Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

Adventurously / Hard.

A brawl promptly breaks out amongst all patrons of the tavern, apart from a couple playing crude instruments who switch to a jaunty tune. Do we escape with no more than some light bruising?

(50/50) No.

Is it Luis?

(50/50) Yesbut...

he takes a chair to the back and gets knocked out, I have to carry him back to the ship. Do we make it without further incidence?

(Likely) Yes.

We rest up that night and then set sail the next morning, did we add any new crew from the port?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes+Twist: NPC / Appears

Calm guide.

One of the new crew members comes over and looks at a somewhat worse for wear Luis before turning to me instead, "I'm Solmon, I signed on with the Captain as a Navigator but as he seems a bit worse for wear I hoped you could help me get accustomed to the ship?" I head off to help out Solmon but nothing else of interest is occurring just now, he seems to be an intelligent bloke though which makes a change. We added ?

44 = 44[d60]

new crew taking us up to 207, still not a full complement but getting there!. I look out to the horizon as we make sail, I hear Luis come alongside me, "so Captain where too?" "dead ahead till dawn then we look for some new fish!" smiling he unrolls some black cloth and I see a skull and cross bones in white

High quality scimitar.

With a sword in gold relief impaling the eye socket of the skull, "we be pirates in truth now me lad so best have a flag we are proud to hoist" As the flag is run up the mast a cheer goes around the ship, "right lads make sail, best speed Mr Solmon, First mate you have the helm I'm for me bed!"