Tuesday, 26 May 2015

RPG Solo: Zombie Apocalypse First Zombie run through

Rubble-strewn apartment building.


I awaken in a ruined apartment building, my memory is hazy as to why I'm here yet I feel calm despite this lack of knowledge.

I look around me

M67 frag grenade.

Very high quality smart phone.

Batteries.

Pickaxe.

Above average map.

Bullet-proof vest.

I look over the smart phone and spare battery putting them in my bag without thought to what use they might be.
I strap on the vest pocket the grenade and with the pickaxe next to me I consult the map.

Is it a map of the local area?

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

Do I know where I am on it?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.

Can I see any landmarks outside the building from the room I am in?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.

I pull down the furniture with which I blocked the door and peer outside into the corridor. Can I see anyone?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.

Stepping out I move along, is there other rooms accessible to search?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) Noand...

I hear a noise from the end of the corridor, can I get out the other way?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) Noand...

Luck is really not with me, not only is there only one way out some one is coming round the corner.. I heft my pickaxe.

Paranoid female student.

As I go to swing.. A young woman appears holding her hands up.. "WAIT" she near screams at me. "Please I need help"

I take a moment to think about helping her, "What do you have that's useful to us?" I ask
She empties her pockets

4 = 4[d6]

Rope.

Fishing gear.

Below average night vision goggles.

Lock picks.

"..I found these things below but I can't use them" I add the goggles and picks to my bag, "loop the rope around you like this and carry the fishing rod for now".
Putting her behind me we move back the way she came, as we get near the outside I stop to look

Can I see anything?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

There is no one in sight. is there cover out there?

(Very Likely | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

there is plenty of open space. Is there anything to help me find us on the map?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Locating us on the Map I find the following places of interest that should be near by

2 = 2[d6]

Ruined carnival.

Dilapidated department store.

"We need food, lets try the department store, its.."

1 = 1[d6]

"..only 1 block away"

She nods and follows me out the door.
We move quickly from cover to cover, there are bodies showing various stages of decay all over the place.
I keep an eye out for any vehicles that still look serviceable. 
We reach a building across the street.

Any sign of anyone yet?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No+Twist: Emotional event / Changes the goal

Move towards goal.

Guide.

"Why are we going further into town? I want to leave, lets just head away.." I stop to explain, "look we need food, clothes and medicine which this store may still have, there may also be more weapons we can use" "Then we can head away but we need to make the most of this chance"

Do I convince her?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

"NO I won't go on, you can't leave me either" "I am going one regardless if you won't come with me you can try and meet me by the petrol station half a mile that way" I point out of town.

Does she go quietly?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

"Okay.. but you will come for me right?" Sighing at what I have got myself into "yes now stay quiet and try to avoid being seen or heard"

I move on quickly to the store, do I encounter anyone before reaching it?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Sprinting zombie.

A blur of sound and movement gives me warning as a skinny zombie rushes from a pile of trash cans at me, I swing my pickaxe...

(Likely | 3[d10]) No.

And miss... The Zombie takes a swipe at me

(Somewhat Unlikely | 3[d10]) No.

I manage to dodge backwards.. as it comes in again I line up my swing

(8 = 7[d20]+1) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

I take it in the shoulder, does the zombie slow down?

(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No.

Ignoring the blow it reaches for me with the other arm

(20 = 19[d20]+1) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.

It manages to tear my arm dislocating it from the shoulder. With a cry of pain I swing the pick at its head

(22 = 17[d20]+5) Killed.

Killing it dead. Can I pop my arm back in myself?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

With my arm in agony I decide to still search as best I can

I enter the store. How looted is it?


82 = 82[d100]

82% looted, so most stuff is gone, damaged or inaccessible but a large enough selection can still be found.

Is there anyone in sight?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

Zombies?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

5 = 5[d10]

Is there any non-zombies here?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) Nobut...

There was, the zombies are busy eating some unfortunates. Can I get around them without being seen?

(Somewhat Likely | 1[d10]) Noand...

Those on the edge of the feeding see me and start shuffling my way. Can I see anywhere to run to make a stand inside?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) Noand... +Twist: Item / Ends the scene

I sense something behind me but as I turn I feel a blow to my head

(23 = 18[d20]+5) Killed.

As the light leaves my eyes I see the zombies crowd in to feed.

*************************************************

I have been waiting at the Petrol station for hours with out sign, he's not coming back I decide.
Pulling myself together and wiping away tears I decide to search the area again. "Must be something worth having round here" I mutter.

Do I find much in the station?

9 = 9[d10]

M18 anti-personnel mine.

Radio.

Pen.

Hacksaw.

Throwing knife.

Silver ingots.

Tools.

Wire.

Above average bullhorn.

My searching turns up mostly rubbish, I try tuning in the radio but get nothing but static and a looping emergency broadcast.

I strap the knife to my waste and decide I need to practice throwing it just encase.

I add the wire, tools and silver into my bag. I leave the bullhorn, the last thing I need is to draw attention to myself.

With the Pen I write a notice warning people to stay away from the town, and for that guy to say I waited as long as I could.

Despite being frightened of the mine I add it to my bag as well.

Stepping out side I see a number of cars with dead bodies in them, some have crashed or are otherwise clearly not going anywhere.

Do I find a car I can get in?

(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yesand...

The door opens on a old pick up truck, the keys are still sitting under the sun visor.
I climb in and it starts first time. 

"Finally some luck"

Smiling I drive away from town.

After travelling some time does the road get blocked with traffic?

(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yesand...

is there a way around?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

Are there any zombies in sight?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Slamming on the breaks as I see the blocked road a large number of shuffling corpses starts making their way in my direction, getting over my initial panic I slam into reverse and head back the way I came.

Do I find a clear exit ramp?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

I make a clear break away.

What interesting building do I come to next?

Blood-caked hotel.

I pull into a hotel, looking for some food and a place to stay awhile.

I find an old looking motel, it appears deserted but as I enter the reception I see blood stains everywhere.

taking a deep breath I look for a key to a room on the upper floor that was empty according to the desk book, I then take a look around the office.

Do I find anything much?

7 = 7[d10]

Gloves.

Lumber.

Crossbow and bolts.

Old kerosene lantern.

Below average spiked bat.

Military uniform.

Claw hammer.

I ignore the uniform, putting on the gloves to keep the blood from my hands I add the crossbow and nail studded baseball bat to my bag, the claw hammer I hold on to with the lantern for later on.
Do I find any food?

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

I use the claw hammer to break the two vending machines open. I laugh at my first reaction to find some change followed by a guilty look over my shoulder.

I get settled within my room finding it locked and clean, like a undisturbed room from the past.

I am delighted to find there is still some running water and take a cold shower.

I use my tools and the lumber to block up the window and door before settling in for the night. My weapons to hand.

Do I sleep undisturbed?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

I wake refreshed and peer outside. Do I see anything?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) Nobut...

As I open the door I think I can hear some odd noises.

Is it coming from another room?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

Do I risk opening the door? (A bad idea)

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

With shaking hands I get the key for the room and taking a deep breath I swing it open ready to slam it shut if need be.

Pungent zombie.

A rotting zombie lunges out at me, I scream as I swing the claw hammer at its head

(13 = 10[d20]+3) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

It moans as I knock it down, I swing again as it goes to rise

(23 = 18[d20]+5) Killed.

Getting my breath back I accept it is dead and look past it, does the room appear to have anything worth searching?

(Likely | 2[d10]) No.

Despite the likelihood of finding something I can't stomach going past its corpse.

Do I feel up to searching any other rooms showing as occupied at the end?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.

I run back to my truck and loading my new goods in I make speed for the road.

Fly infested clinic.

Next up a winding drive is a private clinic, rows of body bags and dead clinicians cover the grounds outside, 

Do I see any movements?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.

I decide to brave the pharmacy

I enter the clinic, do I find anything at first?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

Do I find anyone?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.

Moving further in I locate the pharmacy and some storage rooms.

7 = 7[d10]

Old stick with nails.

Very high quality antibiotics.

Rope.

Worn-out katana.

Below average crowbar.

Hatchet.

Bowie knife.

Adding all I find to my kit I decide to use the sword as my main weapon.

Grabbing some bandages and antiseptic wipes I head back to the truck.

Do I come across anyone in the two trips I take?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

Zombies?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.

DO I see them first?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.

Are they hostile?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.

"Hello" I startle and nearly drop the load I'm holding.

How many are there?

2 = 2[d10]

Greedy female chemist.

Insane government agent.

"Hi, where did you two come from?"

"We were near by when we heard you truck"

Never have I been so glad I locked the truck and took the keys with me out of habit.

"Where are you headed?" asked a officious looking guy wearing a dirty black suit with some sort of flip badge/shield in his top pocket.

"Any where, nowhere, is there anywhere normal left?"

"I know what you mean, you must be so scared travelling all alone" The woman in the lab coat approaches me as though she would put her arm around me.

I move past them loading the truck and freeing up my hands.

"What about you two are you staying here?"

"We have a car and would be happy to travel together miss" the suited man waves at a government looking dark sedan.

"Sure follow me I guess?"

Do they follow?

(Sure Thing | 7[d10]) Yes.

Corpse-choked prison.

I next stop near a large prison, I can see the buzzards circling from here.

"I wouldn't go nearer if I was you" I turn to the guy I now know is called Chuck.
To my unspoken question "No one let them out, I wouldn't like to risk it."

"Would there not be weapons and supplies there though?" I ask

"But what if the gates are locked? you wouldn't get far inside"

"Okay lets move on" I say as the horror of what those people must have gone through registered with me.

I notice the Chemist Alice had not even got out the car.

Disinfected stadium.

We approach the local Sports stadium, a cordon seemed to have been set up around it, with military vehicles and emergency ones surrounding the place.

There are less bodies in sight than you would expect but enough.

Is there anyone in sight?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) Noand...

We risk entering, driving right through the open gates and onto the field.

Stopping we see tents and bodies everywhere.

We stop to grab what we can find.

Cigars.

Frying pan.

Sawed-off shotgun (12 gauge).

Ammo (12 gauge).

Tear gas canister.

Whistle.

Hatchet.

Gas mask.

Ammo (9 mm).

Scoped hunting rifle (.308 cal).

Laser pointer.

Clothing.

One of a kind pocket knife.

Above average jewelry.

Very high quality gloves.

Ammo (7.62 mm).

Bottled water.

Smart phone.

Zippo lighter.

Old ammo (12 gauge).

Glock pistol (9 mm).

Colt revolver (.45 cal).

Military uniform.

We find loads of useful stuff to load in the truck, Chuck to his delight lights up a Cigar, putting the others away in his suit.
Alice takes the 9mm Glock, and I take the Shotgun. Chuck addes the Colt .35 to the one he already had under his suit.

Do we get back to the Cars without any trouble?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.

We set back off down the road, do we find enough petrol to keep both cars going?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.

Do we keep one going?

(Very Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

We abandon my truck and I join Chuck and Alice in his car.

I find out he was some sort of Government agent, whilst Alice had worked at the clinic we met at.

Recently abandoned nightclub.

We come across a out of town club, a number of cars and bikes are strewn across the car park along with bodies.

Is there any Zombies there?

(Somewhat Likely | 6[d10]) Yes.

6 = 6[d10]

Do they all rush towards us once were out of the car?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

They are fast, I panic and fire the shotgun once at them

(8 = 5[d20]+3) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

(16 = 13[d20]+3) Severe Injury: Incapacitating and may become Critical if untreated.

(16 = 13[d20]+3) Severe Injury: Incapacitating and may become Critical if untreated.

I punch two of them from their feet, body parts hanging loose, the others press on.

Alice and Chuck open up as well

(11 = 8[d20]+3) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

(19 = 16[d20]+3) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.

(22 = 19[d20]+3) Killed.

(10 = 5[d20]+5) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

(9 = 4[d20]+5) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

(6 = 1[d20]+5) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

The two almost untouched zombies rush forwards,

Do we have time to shoot again?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

(12 = 7[d20]+5) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

(19 = 14[d20]+5) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.

(10 = 5[d20]+5) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

One zombie reaches Alice, does she manage to fight it off?

(Unlikely | 1[d10]) Noand...

(25 = 20[d20]+5) Killed.

It bites out her throat before we can help her.

Chuck takes careful aim

(25 = 20[d20]+5) Killed.

With the remaining zombies out the ground he takes a bat and finishes them all off.

We stand for a moment by Alice. "Damn"

He turns and enters the Club.

IS there anyone inside?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 3[d10]) No.

3 = 3[d10]

Cheap lock picks.

AK-47 assault rifle (7.62 mm).

Below average sawed-off shotgun (12 gauge).

Finding two more useful firearms we load up the car and head out.