Tuesday, 26 May 2015

RPG Solo: Rolls of the fallen - Planet: Borgo Grappa

The idea behind this will be as each random player being generated dies or is no longer combat effective they are added to this list at the top as a roll of the fallen.

I will be generating random profiles in a global war-zone from Private up to Brigadier which may mean some last longer than other but also that the play style should differ depending on the individual setting thus making it interesting to play on.

The planet being fought over is called Borgo Grappa (Randomly generated - could have been worse :-) )

Active
Captain Odalis Campaniello age 19, Currently recovering Captain with 556th Lemmo Regular infantry., Previously LT - 634th Eldrig Village Penal Regiment


Sgt Christiano Agarwal age 44, Currently recovering then posted to 50th Coologe Lough Regular Infantry,. Previously Sgt - 620th Monte Monaco Di Gioia Regulars (Fighter pilot) VC 1c, RH, AB.

Fallen

Planet Borgo Grappa

Sector Ornavasso

Large Castle Heavy wooden fort.

634Th Eldrig Village.

Penal.

LT.

Name Odalis Campaniello

So we a start as LT Odalis of the 634th Eldrig Village Penal Regiment

Is the Regiment at full strength of 1000?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) Nobut...

Over half strength still?

(Somewhat Likely | 5[d10]) Yesbut...

not by much so

667 = 667[d750]

Is the LT here as punishment?

(Very Likely | 2[d10]) No.

So he is simply a new replacement sent here by need rather than due to personal circumstance.

Hows his moral?

Good

are we on the offensive?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.

What are we defending?

Camouflaged fortress.

What are the enemy assaulting us?

Militia.

Militia.

Light Infantry.

Okay so mass charges and weight of numbers is the likely situation.
Are we the sole defenders here?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

Is there more than one other regiment?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes.

more than 2?

(Unlikely | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

they are heavily damaged?

(Very Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

So the other three regiments supporting our defense here are:

837Th Salorno.

Regular Infantry.

861St Victoria Bridge Station.

Regular Infantry.

790Th Carrickslaney.

Regular Infantry.

So an all Infantry fight on both sides, how under strength are they?

166 = 166[d1000]

238 = 238[d1000]

36 = 36[d1000]

So very under strength then!

How many attackers?

3270 = 3270[d5000]

So were outnumbered about 3:1, do either side have any special assets to call upon?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

They are limited, I assume we have some em-placed weapons?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

any air cover?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

Any artillery on call?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

Limited, and no reinforcements expected.

Do they have any air cover?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

Any artillery?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

As a LT how many penal troopers do I have command of?

98 = 98[d100]

As Penal forces differ is this a mix of political and criminal conscripts?

(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

Right so are we defending a primarily wooden part of the fort?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

as Penal troops and the bulk of the defenders we have the weakest point in the defense...

Ducking down I rush along the shallow trench behind the wall hoping the squad are following me, the manual dictates I should be following penal troops at all time with a weapon ready, however this hardly seems the time, after all an officer should trust his men shouldn't he? That's what they told me at the academy.

Reaching the section I order them forward into position, most move as expected but I can't help but notice a few glances and muttered comments, I know I should stamp my authority but with the adrenaline and excitement of my first real engagement I can do no more than yell encouragement.

Using a periscope I look over the wall at the waves of advancing enemies, have they seen us? I keep an eye on the marker showing the range for engagement, my radio operator crouches next to me spinning dials, "Speak up man?"

"Sorry Sir, I thought I heard something..." "Incoming" the scream goes up

Does their artillery hit our section?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

Only partially with the bulk falling behind and on the more solid defences.

We lose

221 = 221[d667]

the bulk of the loses are from the Regulars supposedly in better hard points behind us, now at least a third of them are out of action.

Our artillery returns fire,

889 = 889[d3270]

Caught in the open the charging lightly armored troops are cut to pieces by our high-tek guns. A dogfight is occurring overhead, is one side winning?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

With control of the air going to neither side and the big guns switching to duel it out the enemy continues their advance.

Does anything else occur before they reach our line of engagement?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) Noand...

As the hordes obscure the range markers the call goes up and down the line to open fire, i shout myself horse encouraging my men, though I fear their abilities may not be up to much they can hardly miss the massed targets ahead of them.

How many losses do they take as they close on us?

737 = 737[d2370]

They still have us heavily outnumbered but we have whittled them down so that piles of the dead line the field in front of me.

As the enemy begins to return fire their advance in places slows slightly but I notice most of my men are busy ducking down and with the drop in fire from the defenders the enemy push closer and closer.

Encouraging and pushing my men back to the wall I raise a fallen rifle myself and start shooting at the enemy.

As our poor wooden wall begins to come apart i have to make a decision

How many defenders are left?

259 = 259[d800]

Only 259 men are left defending of which my command comprises

43 = 43[d98]

As I glance around I realize with out realizing my command has almost more than halved.

It looks like the choice is die where we stand, run or charge.

Am I the senior officer left in this area?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 4[d10]) No.

Does the senior officer order a charge?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

Relief at having the decision made I shout for my men to follow me and charge over the top, surprised to find the enemy only yards away, smoke and rubble obscures the view, the two sides clash, A large chap in the uniform of a militia Sgt swings an axe at me, I try and dodge..

(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

and slam my pistol into the side of his head pulling the trigger..

(38 = 18[d20]+20) Killed.

His brains form a mist in the smoke as he topples over but I have no time to think as another extends his rifle and bayonet at me...

(Somewhat Likely | 3[d10]) No.

(6 = 6[d20]) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

but luck is smiling on me and it barely breaks the skin.. I find my officers sword is in my left hand and I go to impail him..

(14 = 14[d20]) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

As he crumples I move on, a sense of my men along side provides comfort, two enemies appear ahead I point my pistol at the nearest one..

(5 = 5[d20]) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

but he ducks, my comrades fire..

(17 = 17[d20]) Severe Injury: Incapacitating and may become Critical if untreated.

taking the second out the fight with his chest torn open.
I find myself close and swing my sword at the first guy..

(18 = 18[d20]) Severe Injury: Incapacitating and may become Critical if untreated.

his arm comes off with ease and I move on, all sense of how the battle is going has been lost, I am focused only on what I see in front of me.

(3 = 3[d20]) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

(16 = 16[d20]) Severe Injury: Incapacitating and may become Critical if untreated.

(9 = 9[d20]) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

A flurry of shots punch my radio man from his feet, I can't even recall his name, another goes down with a cry holding his leg as blood pumps between his fingers, a blow spins me round, dazed I raise my pistol at the approaching enemy

(8 = 8[d20]) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

(10 = 10[d20]) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

(4 = 4[d20]) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

I barely slow them as they raise their rifles a scream I can't hear on their lips

(8 = 8[d20]) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

(15 = 15[d20]) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

(12 = 12[d20]) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

two blows hit me sending me to the ground,

Do I retain consciousness?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

I struggle to raise my pistol one last time..

(16 = 16[d20]) Severe Injury: Incapacitating and may become Critical if untreated.

how many are left around me?

0 = 3[d10]-3[d10]

The silence is oppressive, I don't know how long I have lain here, it could be seconds or hours.

Did we win?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Against the odds the enemy suffered such losses they withdrew believing reinforcements were incoming for us.

Do I survive the field?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Do any of my men live?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 5[d10]) No+Twist: Physical event / Hinders the hero

I find out in med-bay that the enemy were lured into the fort and then destroyed by pre-determined artillery fire along with any of our men still inside.
I only survived because I charged far enough away into the enemy force.

Will I return to combat?

(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yesand...

I have been promoted to Captain, and given a new command, a company of Regulars this time, they pinned some medals on me too but I couldn't tell you what.

Perhaps once I recover I'll remember more...

Hidden star fortress.


SGT.

Regular Infantry.

620Th Monte Monaco Di Gioia.

So Sgt Christiano Agarwal of the 620th Monte Monaco Di Gioia Regualrs.

Are they defending this hidden star fort?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes+Twist: Physical event / Hinders the hero

It is currently under assault from external enemy forces?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Is this in the lower orbit of Borgo Grappa?

(Very Likely | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

It is now over enemy held territory?

(Very Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

Number of defenders

1592 = 1592[d5000]

Number of attackers

3842 = 2342[d5000]+1500

Okay so a little over 2:1 not bad, do we have automated/manned defences holding them back?

(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

Is the Sgt involved in these defences?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.

Is he involved in a response unit dealing with breaches?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) Noand...

Is he in a defensive vessel?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.

Is he a pilot in a fighter?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.

How many are launching under his command?

6 = 6[d10]

"Launching in 3..2.."

The sling shot presses him back into his seat as the sky comes rapidly into view,

Seeing the sky swarming with enemy assault craft and sleek fighter escorts, "Alpha wing engage those lumbering beasts, Bravo watch our tails"

Rolling his fighter Sgt Agarwal leads half his wing towards some slow bulky landers trying to close with the fortress as rapidly as their overloaded engines will allow.

"Weapons free, happy hunting"

Flicking the switch he selects heat seekers, lining up he fires 3 missiles rapidly at three different targets ahead, his wing launch similar spreads in this target rich environment.

How many enemy ships are hit?

9 = 9[d10]

(9 = 4[d20]+5) Minor Damage: Largely superficial; degrades performance, but not disabling.

(10 = 5[d20]+5) Minor Damage: Largely superficial; degrades performance, but not disabling.

(18 = 13[d20]+5) Severe Damage: Incapacitating and may become Critical if not addressed.

(19 = 14[d20]+5) Critical Damage: Requires immediate attention; clearly disabling if not immediately desctructive.

(7 = 2[d20]+5) Minor Damage: Largely superficial; degrades performance, but not disabling.

(9 = 4[d20]+5) Minor Damage: Largely superficial; degrades performance, but not disabling.

(15 = 10[d20]+5) Moderate Damage: Hampers functionality significantly; will require repair/mechanical attention.

(6 = 1[d20]+5) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Dent.

(17 = 12[d20]+5) Severe Damage: Incapacitating and may become Critical if not addressed.

Only three appear damaged enough to abort their attack as they fail to maintain altitude, one of them begins to disintegrate as its structure fails. A fourth with smoke billowing limps along falling behind its fellows.

"Keep firing, their escorts will be on us soon"

How many more rounds of fire do they get off before needing to deal with covering fighters?

1 = 1[d5]

How many more do they damage enough to knock out?

4 = 4[d10]

with 7 or 8 of the troop ships taken out that's a few hundred enemies who won't be invading the station.

Are the enemy fighters seen before they attack?

(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

Breaking off to engage the enemy Agarwal leads his fellows at them,

How many enemy fighters are there here?

6 = 6[d10]

so a dead even fight

As the dogfight develops he loses track of his squad, fully absorbed in the high speed game of death,

he comes upon an enemy fighter

can he get a lock on?

(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

(8 = 3[d20]+5) Minor Damage: Largely superficial; degrades performance, but not disabling.

Enemy counter measures are effective enough,

Does he keep the advantage?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

The scream of his lock on warning bell forces him to take counter measures himself losing sight of his foe

(18 = 13[d20]+5) Severe Damage: Incapacitating and may become Critical if not addressed.

"Bugger, I'm hit, going down, maintain mission parameters"

How many of his squad are left?

5 = 5[d5]

all of them, how many of the enemy are left?

1 = 1[d6]

He must have been very unlucky as their only decent pilot took him out before fleeing to locate reinforcements leaving the rest of your squad to continue assisting in the defence of the station.

Can he control his crash landing?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Where does he land?

Experimental sensor array.

"What the hell is that?"

He peers through the damaged cockpit seeing a large area covered in towers, ariels and solar panels

Is the ship further wrecked in the crash?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

does he get out unhurt?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.

(10 = 5[d20]+5) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

Pulling himself free he curses the cheap ejection system that had glitched on the way down.

Is there anyone near by?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) Nobut...

There will be security coming soon, is this a military installation of the enemy?

(Very Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

Can he escape the area before they arrive?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Running for the near by forest he holds his injured arm to his chest, a pistol clutched in his right hand.

Luckily his crash took him through the security fencing, he didn't want to think about being stuck inside the fencing.

Can he find his way through the forest easily?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

so can the pursing enemy,

Damn it is that a vehicle he can hear?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

it seems to be going the wrong way at least for now.

Is there any other locations near by he can reach or avoid?

(Somewhat Likely | 5[d10]) Yesbut...

Capital City Heavy wooden fort.

Clearing the trees a number of hours later he looks down on the sprawling metropolis of the state capital,

Is he still being pursued?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

He can see people coming from the City towards him, though still some distance away, the call must have gone out to search for him and close off avenues of escape.

Is this a conquered area or home territory of the enemy?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) Nobut...

Its been an enemy strong hold for long enough that it is not certain their will be any sympathy he can call upon from the locals.

Are they closing in on him?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes+Twist: NPC / Appears

Common criminal.

"Well what do we have here lads"

Turning Agarwal sees a number of gang members spreading out,

3 = 3[d6]

"Now way I sees it we can take what you have and leave your corpse for them guards to find or we could try and claim a reward, now i'm not a trusting sort least of all with them so lets be quick eh..."

As he tries to subtlety draw his gun, Agarwal raises his..

(21 = 16[d20]+5) Killed.

(13 = 8[d20]+5) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

(20 = 15[d20]+5) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.

His first shot takes the leader through the face spattering the ground with his brain matter, the second punches a hole in the chest of a lurking giant leaving him gasping on the ground, the third managed to begin moving and took the shot through the thigh,

With the fight clearly out of them Agarwal approaches the last one, "How did you get here you have transport?"

"Help me, damn you"

Kicking his injured leg elicits a howl, "Yes damn you, yes a we have a skimmer through there", nodding to a hidden foresters hut the other side of the clearing.

"Any others there?"

"No, no take me with you, please don't let them take me.."

"How does it activate?"

"Parm reader, his" nodding at the headless leader.

"Thanks" Agarwal takes his combat knife and severs the leaders right hand, he then goes back and cuts the throat of the two surviving gang members.

approaching the clearing he applies the hand to the lock..

(Very Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

It comes to life, he takes a moment to use the hand again to change the owner sign to his own, then chucking the hand he powers up the skimmer and takes off.

Is it stealth proofed?

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

Do any of the pursuers catch up in time to see him leave?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes.

do they fire?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

(19 = 14[d20]+5) Critical Damage: Requires immediate attention; clearly disabling if not immediately desctructive.

The weight of fire knocks the systems offline.

Is he hit?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

(15 = 10[d20]+5) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

A broken pole imp-ails him to the seat.

Can he control the landing?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

Despite his wounds he still brings it down as best you could ask.
Does he lose conciousness?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Do they get to him before he dies from his wounds or smoke?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No+Twist: Emotional event / Changes the goal

Impulsive hunter.

A woodsman seeing the crash had removed him before the guards arrived, do they have a trail?

(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No.

Does the hunter have enough medical experience to save the Sgt?

(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yesand...

Upon waking... "Where, what?"

"Relax your safe for now at least, I know you have questions, look it was an impulsive action to pull you free and then hide from those City boys an gals don't go making me regret it"

"What now then?"

"Well once your more healed up your on your own, but that might take some time so until then well keep you hidden, your uniform and equipment has been hidden just encase, now you rest up."

Do they find him before he is recovered?

(Very Unlikely | 1[d10]) Noand...

He is able to make his way back to an extract point with the help of the hunter and his contacts?

(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

Did the fortress fall to the enemy?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.

Did it survive?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) Nobut...

Most of those stationed escaped before the enemy destroyed the fortress orbital once they realised they could not capture it.

Is he received back as a returning hero?

(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

Given leave, did his regiment survive?

(Somewhat Likely | 1[d10]) Noand...

They were lost in the defence, so he is transferred to?

50Th Coologe Lough.

Regular Infantry.

Still as a Sgt?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Was he awarded medals?

(Very Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Victors cross 1st class
Red heart for wounds sustained
Aces badge for aerial kills.